Top 10 Earth Day Tips
Do you celebrate Earth Day? Today, April 22, 2016, is Earth Day. This is a great day to assess our earth-friendly habits and to see if we can do more to love our home, the Earth. Below, please find our Top 10 Earth Day Tips and see if you can implement some to help show the love to yourself, others, and our home, the Earth:
- Grow Your Own Food: If you don't already have a garden, you can always start small with herbs in containers inside. If you have a place to plant outside, start small with two or three tomato plants and a couple of zucchini plants. You will be pleasantly surprised with how much food you can produce to eat and to share with others. If you don't have land to plant in, see if your city has a community garden or start one yourself.
- Minimize: Donate items in your home and think twice before buying something new. Less stuff means less goes into our landfills later. Plus, less stuff means less time cleaning and organizing.
- Repair Instead of Replace: Next time the dryer stops working or the dishwasher quits, look into repairing instead of replacing. We live in a disposable society, so the more we repair instead of replace, the less we put into our landfills.
- Walk or Ride a Bike: If you live in an area where you are able to walk or ride your bike, weather permitting, then please do so. Not only will you save on fuel, help keep our air clean, but your body will love you too!
- Buy in Bulk: You can buy all sorts of things in bulk to save money and to use less packaging.
- Recycle: We all know to recycle. Some communities even have convenient curbside pick-up. However, even if your city doesn't recycle, you can still save your items and take them to your nearest recycling facility. If there isn't one close, consider opening one for your community.
- BYOB: As in "Bring Your Own Bag". Bring your own reusable bag to the grocery store, farmer's market, and even big box stores. We don't need anymore plastic bags flying around and getting into our waterways harming our wildlife. TeaPrints totes are great for this!
- Natural Cleaners: Cleaning products are one of the biggest indoor pollutants. In our home we use baking soda and vinegar to clean all sorts of things.
- Conserve Electricity & Water: Turn the water off when brushing teeth, invest in low-flow shower heads, faucet aerators, and purchase energy efficient toilets and appliances. Take shorter showers and open curtains to let the sunshine in.
- Properly Dispose of Electronics: It is important to keep electronics out of our landfills because when they are exposed to high heat they release toxins into the ground, air, and water.
Of course, these are only a few of the ways we can help to protect our planet. You don't need to do everything; every little bit helps. Even starting one new earth-friendly habit will have a huge impact over time. Do what you can, when you can. I hope you have a great Earth Day. Celebrate by taking time for yourself to de-stress and unwind. Drink a cup of your favorite tea, relax, and smell the roses!
Raising my cup to you,